Please help me, I'm at the end of my tether.

Comments

• Oh, I think that was hassled, not herassed. That was when I called him up re the cockroaches. <br>Interestingly, the owners of another flat said he ignores them completely. They want to pay service charges, but he never gets back to them, on the other hand he's complaining that he has to pay for pest control or the pigeon spikes. I doubt he'd ever touch me, but one never knows. He tries and he's got another thing coming. <br>If he were the only problem in my life, I'd probably just sort him out, but there's still my noisy downstairs neighbours in addition to that. I'm not amused. At all.<br>
  • The user and all related content has been deleted.
  • Probably because he knows he can't just throw me out because I doesn't like my hair cut. My contract is for 12 months, yet he constantly threatens to send me a notice, but it never arrives. He's herassing me, most possibly banking on my moving out. Which I'd love to, given the circumstances. I'm guessing he gets a kick out of bullying people. <br>The weirdest thing, I find, is that he's known me for two years and always regarded me highly re being German, not throwing rubbish everywhere, being polite and considerate, etc. Unbelievable how much this man's behaviour changed. <br>
  • You need to cut your losses & get out of there, this is an unwinnable situation. In my experience those professional landlords particularly with big property portfolios are pretty ruthless, your distress won't even cause a dent with them which is not the position anyone should be in.
  • Yeah, if only things were that easy.<br>
  • edited January 2014
    It is, go and have a look at the flat Misscara told you about. I am sorry to be so black and white about it but you have two options, move or be unhappy with the noise, mould, cockroaches and landlord.<div><br></div><div>Standard tenancy is six months fixed and then a month's notice after that. Did you sign something else?</div>
  • I'm with Miss Annie on this. It really is that easy. That's the point of renting. You find somewhere else, you move to it. There aren't that many advantages to renting, but that's one of them.
  • Err, I'm not staying in this flat because I love it so much. If someone offered me a flat today, I'd be out tomorrow. Unfortunately, it's not all as black and white.<br>
  • Unless you're a council tenant no one will just offer you a flat. Have a look at the one Misscara told you about, sounds reasonably priced for this area.
  • Back from the councillor surgery. Catherine West was super nice and will get in touch with my landlord. She said that Tollington Park and Tollington Way are on their radar for several reasons and that it's good I came with a complaint. Landlords seem to ignore the council's wishes to improve properties as they're in quite a state.<br>She also mentioned that the cases of landlords bullying their tenants are increasing. <br>I hope that with her letter, my landlord will leave me in peace, so I can recover and concentrate on the most important things. <br>
  • Hi Stella, I'm sorry you're going through this but the only way you're landlord will leave you in peace is if you stop complaining about the problems in the flat. There are two people in this fight. This is not meant to imply you're in the wrong in anyway but that's the situation. <br><br>I think it's time you moved on from this place. Moving house is not pleasant but compared to what you've described it's got to be better than staying put.<br>
  • I'm not complaining about anything. I've once (in December) told him about the leak in the bathroom, that's all, and it's what I have to do as a tenant. He's not even said anything about that. He's been hassling me since August/September, for no reason whatsoever. I reckon he tries to get rid of me by bullying me.<br>Again, if moving house were that easy (for me), I'd be out so fast, you'd hear a supersonic.<br><br>It's outrageous that landlords get away with this kind of behaviour.<br>
  • edited January 2014
    Hope the letter helps,very  well done for reporting him, guess many do not suffering in silence .<div><br><div>Hope you keep us updated, and best of luck with finding somewhere.</div></div>
  • You and me both. Just today, I again received a 'threat' email from my landlord. (We've tried to solve the problem, and if you don't comply we have no choice but to evict you.) They're oblivious to the crime their committing. They have no ground. Forwarded it to the councillor. <br>This all is really something I need like a hole in the head. <br>
  • If you don't comply with what? What are they asking you to do?
  • Stella, would you be interested in renting a double room in Stoke Newington? Someone on my Fb timeline is advertising one. I'm afraid I don't know anything about it other than it's £540 pcm inc, but I could try sending you a link to his Fb page and you could ask any questions.<br>
  • Hi, love.<br><br>I'm afraid that's not an option for me. Thank you, though. <br>
  • By the way: Councillor West got in touch with EH, because I worry the cockroach situation may come back. Another flat, which didn't have problems previously, reported to have spotted some and got pest control in. Pest control got in touch with me, saying they aren't going to do anything as it's the landlord's responsibility, and only if he didn't do anything the council could do something about it. <br>I have the Councillor and Tenancy Relation Service looking into the 'bullying', and I hope that'll keep my landlord off my back to I can get recover from the stress. <br>
  • A quick update on my current situation: <br>I believe Councillor West insisted on EH coming round to check out the irritating smell in my kitchen and on the cockroach situation. A very lovely man came to investigate on Monday and figured it may be a gas leak, so he got everything in motion to get National Grid in to turn off the gas and served a notice to my landlord to fix the problem at priority within 48 hours. <br>Landlord has treated the man from EH the same way he treats me: shouted at him and then hung up, but then calmed down and complied with the notice. When he turned up here with the (very rude to me) plumber, it was clear he'd briefed the guy about what kind of person I am, then complained why I didn't get with him in touch first about the gas leak and instead called EH. (My thoughts: really? You're wondering why? Maybe it has to do with your not responding to issues--like the leak in the bathroom I told you back then in December and you haven't even said a word about this!). Despite the fact that I didn't call EH for a gas leak. *sighs*<br><br>The man from EH also told me that, apparently, my landlord now blames my having the iguana for the cockroach situation, saying they go where it's warm and humid. While that is true, then I'd like to know why I never had cockroach in all the 20 years I've kept iguanas and why they've now cropped up in a different (iguana-less) flat? In addition to this he'd also said to EH that he's not going to fix the bathroom ceiling unless I'd contribute. Man, this is getting more and more ridiculous. <br><br>To close up: the gas leak hasn't been fixed as it's apparently within the limits, so the stink's still there. <br>On the positive side: he's stopped hassling me now; it seems the Councillor's letter has done the trick. I'm still searching for something new as I can't handle an idiot landlord and those fucking kids running around the flat all the time. I have my limits. <br><br>
  • edited February 2014
    Nope. I didn't ask either. I think I'll try to sort that out for myself. Somehow.<br><br>Actually, that's not true. I think we spoke about it, but since I'm not in immediate danger to lose my home there's most possibly nothing anyone can do. And I'd rather those who are about to become homeless get a home. <br>
  • Oh, trust me, I will try to find a solution. Not interested to put up with all this any longer. <br>
  • Coincidence or what? RSPCA called today re my iguana. Landlord seems to pull all registers. I called them back and said I'd be happy to have them come round. My big boy is healthy and happy. <br>I'm so done with this all! <br>
  • I am so sorry Stella. What business is his with regards to zoro. You look after him very well! What a twat
  • Well, I don't know who called them, but I'd assume it's him. He'd told me in previous phone conversations that he'll use my keeping an iguana as a reason to throw me out as the tenancy agreement would state that no pets are allowed, to which I replied that it was him who suggested to get a cat to sort out the cockroaches. Or asked if the iguana doesn't eat them. (They don't!)<br>The tenancy agreement hasn't got anything in it re pets, so since he has no handle on this, he's trying other ways. I called the RSPCA and explained the ongoing war between us and said I'd be happy for them to come round and take a look. She replied it made all sense as the complaint was a bit murky, something about the environment the iguana is being kept in is too small. I told her the size of the vivarium and what equipment I run, and she replied there's no need to come round. Instead she'll keep my number in case they have a problem and need advice. <br>Yes, the vivarium could be bigger, but I'll get that sorted when I've moved. <br>Funnily enough, the agency who's looking after the flat above me (now involved re the leak in the bathroom) said they've had massive problems with my landlord, and the owner of the flat above me has said the same. <br>
  • I believe it's two reasons:<br>1. He can't just give me a notice. At least I think he can't. The contract ends in August and there's no other clause in the agreement. From what I've heard, he needs to have a valid reason to give me notice, which he hasn't.<br>2. He just gets off bullying someone and it may have worked in previous cases. This man is just vicious. I also have a suspicion that this man is prepared to do much more. <br><br>