Miso closing down

Comments

• AliAli
    edited 9:14AM
    Double dip people don't have as much money or are worried they won't after April when a conserable amout of money will be taken out of the economy
  • edited 9:14AM
    "Slightly more upmarket greasy spoon like Hamlets on Hornsey Road" - not that I've ever been in Hamlets, but it looked to me like it was aimed at much the same market as Front Room. Between which and the various actual greasy spoons on SGR, I can't really see a niche there.
  • The user and all related content has been deleted.
    Hamlets and the Front Room are the same in the way that Lidl and Waitrose are the same
    I'm a million times more likely to go to Hamlet's than the Front Room. I just find Front Room off putting for some reason. I think it's to do with the profusion of people working on laptops in there, it just feels like the staff canteen at a design agency. And at weekends it's mainly fractious parents bickering over the Guardian. The new hardware shop is rubbish, Rodavis was great. There's a good one run by a Chinese family on Blackstock Rd. @Brodiej The tapas at La Bota in Crouch End is nice, especially the kidneys in sherry.
    Rodavies has moved to near the Mind shop where it is in competion with the Iranian DIY shop. Will be opening a book on which closes first shortly.
  • edited January 2011
    OK, im, a Hamlet ambassador. When i say "upmarket", its just a nice comfortable environment with great staff and they happen to play classic FM. The clientele is exactly what it used to be (before the refit and extension), and more....no frills, a bit of spice every now and again (!), traffic wardens, workies, dancers off x-factor/strictly, crazy old women with ginger hair and space boots (every day). I just rate it highly as a place to go, much more so than your Front Rooms etc. The guy that runs it and his girls are first class.
    @ Miss Annie. Thanks for the heads up. I knew about it, heard great things etc....but never bothered. I'll have a look in.
    @miss annie, the new hardware shop is Rodavis, just moved. Same dozy guy and high prices. Handy, though, when you need somewhere within walking distance. The Blackstock Rd one is great, proper old school hardware shop. I'm always tempted to ask for fork handles.
    The Blackstock Road hardware shop - 'Mix' - is amazing. It always reminds me of Blade Runner.
  • AliAli
    edited 9:14AM
    They have very poises type of light bulb which is very handy as I have found problems since Sparks stopped doing them.
    Need to check out Hamlets, never been there. Had breakfast at lunchtime in Mari e Monti recently as the Front Room was too busy. Was impressed, decent food and decent prices - if they sourced some proper posh bangers from the butchers over the road it would be even better. Dotori moving up Stroud Green Road would clean up. I really like tapas at La Bota - the ribs are fantastic - but wonder whether tapas would succeed in that spot on SGR. Rodavis was pricey but once you got past the initial doziness, the guys is very helpful and will tell you how to do something. It is also a lot easier to pop to and buy the thing you suddenly find mid-job you need that Homebase.
    That's my only complaint about M & M - crap sausages. A good sausage makes a good start to the day, as my missus says.
    I'm not even sure it's worth making an innuendo-laden response to that.
  • edited January 2011
    What is the general thinking on taking your own sausages with you to a cafe for them to cook? Would be quite simple to go to the butchers, buy some sausages and take them to Mari e Monti. Is this beyond the pale? Considered it about a lovely B&B I stayed in a few years back, but that just didn't cut it on the breakfast. At least there you could claim wanting to tase local produce. Would that wash in Stroud Green?
    I carry sausages around with me, just in case.
    @PapaL I have seen someone bring their own steak to a restaurant for the kitchen to cook in the U.S. No one batted an eyelid then but I'm not sure how well it would be received here. @Misscara Giggly Pig sausages are delicious, I've bought them from Borough Market. I'll come to Hamlet's too.
    Butchers in Crouch End had some fantastic sausages in the run-up to Christmas. Not cheap, but you have to pay for a good sausage these days. I might casually ask on the bring your own sausage front and report back
    I don't know how someone can be in any way an ethical consumer of meat (I like giggly pig) and then eat the bacon at a place like Hamlets. Pick a lane, people.
    @brodiej - Hamlet's guy's "girls"? Are they under 15 years of age, or should that be bruciej?
    You can do your best to be an ethical consumer of meat though Andy.
    @ andy.....because most people just like the taste of bacon regardless of how its arrived on your plate.

@ tosscat....asking me if they're under 15 years of age is not suitable for a local area forum. Dirty Peed.
    I know plenty of females in their twenties and thirties who self-describe as 'girls' - or should that be tossdworkin?
    ...just came across this on rightmove Papa L

http://www.rightmove.co.uk/property-for-sale/property-28505869.html

Mari e Monti is up for sale
    @MIsscara - see you at the sausage stall. We think alike.
    andy, I'm not ethical about meat or any kind of food really, I swerve at top speed across all the lanes. Brodiej is quite correct in saying that bacon just hits the spot whether it has been sliced from a happy pig or not. I think that vegans are the only people that can claim to be really ethical about food. If one chooses to eat things that have brains and eyes it's a tad pointless being picky about where it comes from.