Are you too scared to cycle in London?

Comments

• On my way home tonight i watched the same cyclist (he was travelling from Golders Green, strangely on the same route as me all the way back to SG) create possibly 6-7 serious opportunities to get himself killed. These included 1. Going through red lights 2. No indicating on right or left turns 3. Not even stopping at junctions, causing two emergency stops from vehicles approaching on the road he was turning into. His last manoeuvre was around 100 yards from where he ended his journey. What a spoon. I give him 4 weeks of the same behaviour before something bad happens, which will no doubt involve someone else.<div><br></div><div><br></div>
  • One thing I saw that shocked me was a guy on a bike, freehand, cycling through red lights at a junction that is hard to overlook and normally quite busy. As you all know I'm not exactly obeying by all the rules, but that behaviour is clearly endangering him and others. I never jump the red light there, by the way, and that means something. I found myself squeezing my eyes shut, hoping the roads are clear.<br>
  • Do you work for Mamachari, Stella? I like those bikes, very practical-looking. I qualified as a bike mechanic a couple of years ago. We have quite a lot of people at work who ride, and I'm nominated office bike mechanic.<div><br></div><div>On a different note there have been a few people talking about bike training/road sense. Islington & Hackney (not sure about Haringey) run free adult bike skills sessions. My other half did a course shortly after starting to commute by bike, and she said it was excellent. If you want to get back into riding in London then it's a really good idea, especially if you're not familiar with riding around traffic,</div>
  • edited October 2013
    Hi, Mike. <br><br>Yes, I've worked at the shop almost since they started. Sadly, I'll be leaving--and I've cried over it since I love that shop so much and will miss working with Noah, but my work was unpaid (more like work experience). I've been offered a job as a full time mechanic in a different (new) place literally around the corner of Mamachari. There's still an opportunity to work for Noah if they ever open Sundays. We've been discussing it, and I'd be running the show, then. Fingers crossed. I need my weekly dose of Mamachari. The new place is fine with it, too. I'll be mostly building custom-build bikes and do repairs. It's a challenge since I haven't got years of experience under my belt, but the owner is a mechanic, too, and will be there to help if I get stuck. Noah's convinced I'll be fine. Oh the trust in me.<br><br>Sorry, off-topic. I'm just so thrilled that my hard work is paying off and people appreciate my talent (so I was told). It's a proper second career and to be frank, I deserve a bit of luck.<br><br>Now I just need a new flat and I'll be a happy bunny. <br>
  • Brodiej - I see that stuff all the time. I find alot of people don't slow down properly on junctions, instead relying on their ears. As I've said, I'm half deaf so there's no way I could do that, it really makes you realise how dangerous people can be,.
  • and some of the electric car/hybrids barely make any noise at all nowadays. 
  • <div>BrodieJ I see what you've posted daily on my cycling commute. </div><div><br></div>I find some cyclist don't like stopping when coming from a side road to a main road and just turn left into your path sometimes without even looking and sometimes with looking but they still do it, not sure which is worse but I find it incredible rude doing it to a fellow cyclist. <div><br></div><div>I do think there is a lack of camaraderie between cyclist, often racing each other, pulling into each others paths and not indicating. </div><div><br></div><div>If I see a cyclist in front of me in a bad position say too close to the kerb or parked vehicles with an obstruction coming up on the left or a pinch point I'll purposely place myself further out in the road so cars can't overtake or will take a wider overtake at dangerous points allowing the cyclist in front to be able to pull out further into the road (with or without a shoulder check). <div><br></div><div>p.s: I'm not perfect and admit to racing sometimes, normally when another cyclist has annoyed me. </div><div><br></div><div><br></div></div>
  • Matt: Seems you're always expecting someone else to be an idiot. Which will most possibly keep you safe. Like you I find it rude if you just cycle into a road without looking. I think many (cyclists and drivers) can't estimate the speed of others or overestimate themselves. That's always a potential danger.<br>
  • I always seem to underestimate others, Stella! The amount of times I don't go then sit there waiting for what seems like an eternity!<div><br></div><div>So true Matt. Cyclists do not like being overtaken by others and they will often do something dangerous like overtake at a junction to get back in front.</div>
  • I cannot care less about people overtaking me. I normally grin, then mumble to myself 'Show off!', and keep pedalling at my own pace. Sometimes it's me who overtakes others; to me it's not a race, I get to where I want to go eventually.<br>
  • Rather windy today, but managed not to get wet. There's a massive storm coming. Be careful, people.<br>
  • Do you think it's a bad idea to cycle tomorrow?
  • Nah. As long as you're not cycling through parks, or under large trees and your legs keep up ... I only stop cycling when I'm defeated by the weather.<br>
  • I was wondering about cycling tomorrow. I don't want a gust of wind to blow me into another vehicle coming from behind. <div>I cycle through blackfriars (over the bridge) and along the southbank, the wind really picks up with the tall buildings it can be quite dangerous. </div>
  • I would say it's best to know yourself and better be safe. So pushing the bike in particular areas would probably be best. It really depends on how stormy it is. If you look out of the window and there are bits and pieces flying all over the place, it's probably better to take the tube. <br>
  • The user and all related content has been deleted.
  • made it in to work cycling, not too bad just took it slower than usual and made sure I cycled away from the debris at the side of the road. Blackfriars Bridge was a bit hairy being pushed all over the place & at one point had no control over going left (thankful it wasn't right) but made it over and in. 
  • Well done. Glad all went well. Feels good to have it done, doesn't it? You may have looked like an exploded budgie, but I bet you felt great. <br>
  • An exploded budgie?! Blimey, @Stella, your science lessons at school were obviously a lot more exciting than mine!
  • Did anyone ever tell you that you belong on stage @vetski? <br><br>Unfortunately, our science lessons weren't exciting at all. Okay, chemistry, sometimes, but biology? Nope. I'm quite glad for it as I'm not a fan of dissecting animals or their eyes. One reason I didn't become a vet. <br>
  • My mother would have had kittens... We did rats and frogs. And always had something involving mince for lunch on the day after. *suspicious mind*<div><br></div>
  • I didn't cycle this morning, mainly because the chap urged me not to (he was worried, bless him), but actually I think it would have been fine. But given that it's just gone very dark outside and the rain is coming down in sheets I might be grateful to be on the tube later ...<br>
  • I'm planning to cycling in a bit. Time to wear the gear (yellow rain coat and, perhaps, wellies).<br>
  • @vetski, I hope you didn't blow up frogs. I love frogs; they're really cute.<br>
  • No, just dissected them. Ugh.
  • So, as we all know the clocks went back at the weekend. This means it's now dark when I leave work. I've not cycled in the dark yet - well I have, but not for many years and never in London - so does anyone have any advice for staying safe? I've got lights and reflectors, obvs, and a bright pink hi-vis waistcoat. My brother gave me some reflector things that go round my ankles. Is there anything else I should be doing?<br>
  • I think it's about as much as you can do, apart from being more careful and look over your shoulder more often. Some drivers forget to put their lights on. Better be safe than sorry.<br>
  • The main thing I can recommend is good strong lights. Light reflective clothing is important but obviously only works when lights are shining on you. The amount of times this last week or two I've nearly walked out in front of a cyclist I did not see in the dark is scary.
  • Yes. Reminds me, that I need to change the batteries of my front light. Watch out for Lidl offers, they do have very good high quality lights every now and again.<br><br>There are plenty of cyclists about who ride without light at all. May be fine in the countryside, the short way from the pub home, but here in London? Only if you have a death with.<br>
  • you should have two lights on your back one high up (back or bag or helmet) and one lower down under the seat usually. One should flash and the other be static. You can do the same for the front with a light on your helmet as well as on the handle bars if that makes you feel safer.