SG Cycling Club

Comments

• Bunk off! What will you regret more when you're an old fella...ducking out of work or missing out on an opportunity?
  • You're right.  I'm getting old. It would have been a no-brainer years ago.
  • edited December 2013
    @Stella I'd love to come, but I need to do some Christmas shopping this weekend. What about the 29th? On the subject of Christmas shopping, does anyone know if Jak's is any good for whisky? There don't seem to be any decent offies in Awesomestow and I'd rather not get it from Asda.<br><br>Also, I've written a blog all about my cycling experiences: http://ahappycommuter.blogspot.co.uk/2013/12/how-it-all-began.html<br>;
  • Not so Awesomestow then! Google won't let me look without having an account. Well done though.
  • Hi Idoru. Your blog's open only to invited readers. 
  • Yeah, I forgot to change the settings. All fixed now. You don't need a google account or anything. <br>
  • Away on holiday this weekend. I could do that Thursday though. Away next few weekends with holidays/going home etc.
  • Idoru: that's fine. We're probably not going into the hefty cycling tours right now. Will take a look at your blog later, thank for the link.<br><br>I've invited someone else along; her name is Jessi and she's rather lovely and interested in joining. <br><br><br>
  • If it stays fun and relaxed I think I'll be up for this, not interested in any competitive roadie stuff though.<div>Anyway I don't think I'll be able to do much until the new year. Will keep an eye on this thread until then...</div>
  • I'd like for it to be fun and relaxed. Nobody will force me into Lycra. If people want to do some road racing, fine by me, but they'll have to arrange something between them. <br>
  • I think we also need to define what we mean by fun and relaxed! I want to join the Waltham Forest cycling group. On the website where it explains about how easy their rides are it says "We never go further than 30 miles and often less than that." Umm, but the furtherest I've ever gone in one go is 6. I reckon I could do 10 easily and 15 for more of a challenge, but 30 is definitely not 'easy' far as I'm concerned. <br><br>I do want to challenge myself, but I also want to do fun short rides. I really want to do the London to Cambridge run next year, so want to build up my stamina. But I'm not interested in racing or time trialling. <br><br>How far is a fun and relaxed ride for everyone else?<br>
  • Fun and relaxed means, to me, no major races, more like a gentle riding along the landscape. Okay, not so slow that you fall over for you don't have any speed, but definitely not hours of pumping like an idiot. <br>I can easily cycle around London for four to five hours, but that's not the same as a consistent ride. I think I'd be fine with 30 miles, but I'd be happy to start with 15 miles. They're easier accumulated that one thinks when you're in the zone, no traffic, just nature around you. And we could always have a break inbetween. I guess we need to find riding partners who are at the same level or are happy to take it down a notch every now and again when newer riders join. I'm not too competitive, so if someone's better, goes faster and longer, it doesn't bother me at all. I just want to enjoy a ride without having to brake or stop every twenty seconds.<br>
  • I feel like it's a bit difficult to get everyone together before Christmas. How about we get together in January and gather some ideas on this thread in the meantime? January is often quieter and much nicer in a pub (maybe with a fireplace?). <br>
  • Thats fine with me Stella. I don't know<span style="font-size: 10pt;"> any pubs with fires? However I wont go to pubs where people wear short trousers or have moustaches</span>
  • The Noble has a fire, as does the Shaftesbury. No guarantees on facial hair/leg coverings, though!
  • Oh my goodness, I would love love love to get out in a group to Lea or further afield. I know Herts loops fairly well and a few out toward Essex. Is anyone else doing the London Tri this year?
  • Well, Sutent, I'll shave for you, then. Will also wear long trousers. :-)<br><br>Shaftesbury sounds brilliant. Thanks, Vetski. I'd love to see that place and Jan is always quiet. <br><br>Anyone up for Shaftesbury?<br><br>Chitori: I take it you're 'in' then? :-) Wonderful to have someone with us who knows the neck of the woods. I only have one favour: Never leave me anywhere on my own, I'll never find my way back. <br>
  • I am in in general, but rather typically for me my weekends are a bit packed until January. If this is likely to continue I'd be most interest in some club rides! X
  • Well, I hope it doesn't end up like the writing group, two meetings and then falling apart, but I'm rather committed to keep this one going. Admittedly, I'd pulled out of the writing group as it wasn't for me. I had never tried that before,  but I rode with others and it's fun. It's a different sort of activity anyway.<br>
  • Stella I think you should be the leader
  • Well, I <i>am</i> German ... <br>
  • Joke aside, as long as nobody expects me to lead rides, I'd be happy to take the reins. I'm thinking about a forum and social media accounts, so that we can have categories to make it easier when more people join. I don't necessarily think this club needs a 'leader' per se, but I have some other ideas in my head which could do with some funding from the council, so it would be good to have something to show for at some point. That's all for next year. <br><br><br>
  • <p>I'm really keen to join in something like this in the new year, got a great bike I never use so this could be just the kick up the @#$% I need.</p><p>Please keep me informed!</p>
  • Okay, I'll go and polish my cowboy boots with the toe caps. That'll do, I suppose. :-)<br><br>Welcome, Fin, happy to have you. I think we'll make a smashing club. Looking forward to our first ride and, of course, we'll follow the road rules. <br>
  • edited December 2013
    Just a quick overview who's expressed interest:<br><br>Sutent (perhaps with friend Suzie)<br>Peter Crumb<br>Detritus<br>R&J<br>Idoru<br>Yagamuffin<br>Chitori<br>Fin<br>Jess<br>Stella (perhaps bringing a friend)<span class="Author"><br>conformable_kate<br></span><br>Aim of the club is to provide easy rides for everyone in order to enjoy cycling with a group. If someone wants to go for longer tours, they can do so and maybe ask other, who'd like to challenge themselves, along. <br>I'm sure those who are a little hesitant will soon enjoy more miles as they just rush past you when you're in the zone, but it's up to each individual what they want from the club. No pressure on anyone. I've never cycled three hours without any interruption. It's a tad hard to do that in London. :-)<br>
  • Actually - I will also flag up possible interest ... I used to cycle regularly, years ago. I wouldn't rate my standard very high, but I do enjoy it and would enjoy it more if others were urging me on! I would need to get my bike saddle replaced (moving parts of myself less replaceable, sadly). But keep me posted and in the new year it will probably be just what I need.
  • Superb! Sounds like we're off to a good start. :-)<br><br>I'll create the social media platforms and forum until then. If we don't use the forum--fine, but I'd like to have it in place, just in case. <br><br>Don't know what sort of saddle you need, but I have one (a sporty one) for women. You could give it a try. If it suits your backside, you can have it. I think it's blue-ish. Can't remember.<br>
  • Many thanks, that's a nice offer - but I'm not very keen on the sporty type, I'm a sit-up-and-beg biker on the whole! I'll sort something out over the holiday.<div><br></div>
  • I see and understand. Unfortunately, I've only one saddle for that and that's on my mamachari, and I'm very fond of it. haha.<br><br>I feel we may have an opportunity to get a 'sit-up-and-beg' ride going, other riders welcome, but it'll be an easier pace. If we all have baskets, maybe instead of stopping at a pub, we could stop for a picnic. <br>
  • The user and all related content has been deleted.