It's going to be LOUD.

Comments

• By George, I think I've got it. The perfect FP concert would, of course, be Andre Rieu! Big dresses, punters waltzing in the park - what's not to love?<div><br></div><div>(BTW, the screams of despair audible across SG are probably coming from @checkski.)</div>
  • edited June 2013
    No, one perfect event would be an open air play, performed by actors of the Park Theatre. Best in that picnic area. <br>
  • Or Black Sabbath.
  • Daft Punk please
  • edited June 2013
    G&R were great in 96 went to see them at Milton Keynes.
  • @Marquis, given the plentiful supply of bats in the area, am surprised Black Sabbath has never played here!
  • I agree, vetski. It's by far the most doomed park we have in London. But I would also second an ELO reunion.
  • edited June 2013
    Val Doonican.    Just right for the cardigan wearers, eh @Chetski?    Irish to boot.<br>
  • @Idoru and @Detritus original Guns N Roses line up seconded.<br><br>I would pay a lot of money for that.<br><br>Saw them at Wembley in 1992, aged 13 with three of my schoolmates, first gig without parents. Brilliant.<br><br>Have seen both Axl's GnR tribute band and Velvet Revolver a few times since. Both were worth it for the laugh, but they aren't the real thing - last time I saw GnR at the 02 Izzy came on and did a few songs.<br>
  • I would love to see Queen again, with Freddie of course. I bitched and whined about going to see them the first time (in '86) as I was not a fan at all, but was converted within about ten minutes and still believe that it's the best live music performance I will ever see. Pulp a very good second best.
  • edited June 2013
    Big open air concerts leave me cold.  It's a pity the Rainbow isn't a concert venue anymore.  To think Bowie, Roxy Music, T-Rex and many more 70s legends played there is amazing.  The Robey was a good little venue back in the day.  Now all we have are the pubs like World's End with their fusion bands. Some can be good at times!
  • This thread is mainly concerned with the tunes and the tunesmiths that Stroudgreeners would like to hear in the park. Fair enough, although I disagree. Meanwhile over on Harringay On Line a darker discussion has developed. Urination has been mentioned here; over at HOL it and other problems seem to be the main concern. http://www.harringayonline.com/forum/topics/sea-of-wee-and-violence-marr-great-concert
  • Also an interesting piece on HoL - which I think you can link to from the article @checkski has mentioned - about the promoter, SJM. Apparently their underprovision of loos is habitual.
  • Is the 'Marr' a deliberate pun (given he supported), or can the guy just not spell?<div><br></div><div>People looking for loos and not finding them is one thing, but a friend had someone just pull down her pants and piss where she stood (well, squatted a bit) right in front of him. I'm fairly sure you wouldn't get that at a Roxy Music concert.</div>
  • The user and all related content has been deleted.
  • Did it have a head on it?
  • <i>Yes, I wasn't very clear, I meant the outside of the concert area.    I agree though, there's a lot of rubbish blown through the railings by the railway.   The bit where the old boats and compost bins are, really bothers me.   There's a creepy doll, laying in a boat that's been there for months.</i><br><br>There's a creepy doll in a boat on the railway?  I'm going to have to head back to SG just to see this surreal scene....<br>
  • edited August 2013
    Can't really argue with those stats though I don't see information on the increased footfall (neither in the articles or in the police .xls files).  <br><br>Was there 20 crimes in May, because there was only 10000 people through the park?  And 200 incidents when there were 100,000 through it in June?  That seems par for the course.  <br><br>I guess any attempt at sensationalising things to get a bit more traction to have future events better catered can't be bad.  Doesn't sound like SJM are doing a very good PR or organisation job.<br><br>Personally, would still like concerts to go ahead in the park, and I live very nearby.<br><br><br>
  • Unless I'm reading it wrong, it doesn't actually say that the extra crimes took place over the weekend of the gigs. If they happened throughout the entire month of June then they've nothing to do with the Stone Roses. Maybe more people were around throughout the month because of warmer weather than in May. More people will translate to more crime, regardless of whether the Stone Roses are there are not.<br>
  • They mention public urination in the article.   I observed several people pissing against the hoarding of the John Jones site on Morris place, in plain sight of security staff operating a road block.  I asked them whether they were going to do anything about it, and their reply was essentially 'not my job'. 
  • @graeme: I think on the whole the whole operation was fairly well organised, although there were definitely issues - for instance, my street Charteris ROad, just into Islington) wasn't one they organised extra cleaning for, yet it got a lot of litter which didn't get cleated despite my reporting it.    I am also seriously unamused by my street being used for public urination as well - which also happened.  <div><br></div><div>It also has to be said that the hard-core Stone Roses fan-base is just a little bit skanky and possibly not representative of the crowd that other concerts might attract. </div><div><br></div><div>I think in the future I'd prefer to see more police out patrolling on local streets rather than managing the crowds in the park.  </div>
  • The user and all related content has been deleted.
  • <P>Yeah can't disagree there is an element of their fans that is a bit rough.  Is peculiar, because the music isn't particularly lairey.  I.e. I wouldn't put it in the same lumpen dirge category as say, Oasis.  </P> <P>As for public urination, I think that's just a natural hazard these days now there don't seem to be any public lavatories in the area.  Where do you go for a slash on your way home if there are no public lavatories? Hold it in as you travel across London for an hour? A couple of dozen strategic pissoirs would have solved 90% of that.</P> <P>As long as they're not peeing in your garden (as I used to get from Arsenal fans when I lived on St. Thomas's Road) the 'up against a wall' isn't that bad.  I would pee in the bushes if developers hadn't built houses all over the fields, with an onion tied to my belt, which was the style at the time.</P>
  • Most girls seem to manage to travel about without pissing in public! We go into coffee shops, pub, McDs etc.
  • Yes, but our bladders are like, enormous compared to mens'! Poor men with their tiny bladders... <br>
  • I've heard from friends fool enough to attend that there were also women pissing in public at the Roses gig. And I've seen it in the park at half six on a sunny evening (not in the bushes or anything wimpy like that). Classiness knows no gender boundaries.
  • Yes sadly there are some tarty types round here. Chang