Today I'm happy about ...

Comments

• Stella, I'm upset, I thought you'd found love in a bad time.  Life goes on.  Hopefully, to 2014.
  • @Kreuzkav What? I didn't say anything! Oh and nice Jesus and Mary Chain reference by the way. One of my favourite bands.
  • Holiday home worked out at about £15 pp per day. So yeah, not that posh.
  • Misscara, the Fat Cat is a candidate for best pub anywhere, let alone Norwich. Regular winner of CAMRA pub of the year.
  • This one was pretty cheap too: http://www.landmarktrust.org.uk/search-and-book/properties/gargunnock-house-7761 Shorter Mirandola: the Landmark Trust are great. No TV or wifi but (and?) very beautiful and good beds/plumbing.
  • edited January 2014
    At Mirandola, Miss Annie.  It's all good.  That castle or whatever is amazing value.<div><br></div><div>@ Miss Annie. You mentioned in a different post that you went to New Romantic clubs in the early 80s.  That's amazing.  I agree, fashion then wasn't so affected by being from a posh background.  The cool clubkids were mostly working class from what I heard.</div>
  • I'm sorry, Kreukav. I couldn't think of a worse time of falling in love. It's only distracting and I'm busy with ... well, doing thing.<br><br>Flat, by the way, wasn't one for me. Great flat space wise and really quirky, but the carpet had seen better days and the landlord didn't want to change anything. He said the state of the flat reflects in the rent. So, that's a no for me. They have a cat, too, and I have asthma. Old carpet+cat=recipe for disaster. Shame, I really liked the layout.<br>
  • edited January 2014
    @Kreuzkav<;div>It wasn't really about class at all, I was young then and it seems like hundreds of years ago but I don't recall putting people into 'class' boxes, There were plenty of people with plenty of money and there were plenty who went to art college and lived in squats. Everyone got along just fine, it was a smallish scene. The modern day hipsters wouldn't have been given houseroom because they don't put enough effort in and it's actually quite conformist - the chaps all have either comedy facial hair, a bowtie and tweed, or beards, checked shirts and obscure boots. I'd rather have died than gone out dressed the same as someone else. Speaking as someone who was there I can confirm that we were all prententious and looked ridiculous most of the time, but we looked ridiculous in an interesting way.</div>
  • I was only about 12 around this time but had you down Miss Annie as younger.  I agree, it shouldn't matter about class...but sadly now even younger folk are obsessed about what restaurant they're eating at.  I love the whole New Romantic scene.  London was divine then.
  • I had a terrible perm back then and if I had the chance to go back to tell the younger me to not do it, I'd take it. Urgh. Terrible perm, terrible dress sense (though that probably hasn't changed) and terrible glasses. <br>
  • edited January 2014
    I think London was the place to be early 80s, not Germany<div><br></div><div>Was at a great 80s party in Berlin in flat five years ago and they were playing obscure 80s stuff and this ( I know it's not obscure) but the small crowd of twenty odd went wild.</div><div><br></div><div><a href="">
  • Agreed, London was brilliant in the early 80s If you were young, arty and had a bit of gumption. I used to haunt Camden Market, Hyper Hyper, and the still much mourned Kensington Market and spend all my Saturday job money on stuff to wear on nights out. I bought a leather biker jacket off Marilyn, (remember him?) And spent days painting the Virgin Mary surrounded by roses on the back. I wish I still had it now. I tell you what, Camden was bloody great then!
  • Sadly, I came in on the tail end of this.  I knew people who knew Marilyn and Boy George.  I did meet Boy George at a few private parties in the 90s when he became a dj.  I think London was amazing back in the 80s, more early and thanks for sharing the memories Annie.  Love the androgenous stuff like Marc Almond who I met later on too. 
  • And you're right, I remember Camden in the late 80s.  It was rock a billy mixed with acid house and all sorts of stuff. raw before it became so sterile.  Knew people with stalls and love the Electric. Camden was the Lower East side then.  Now it's like nothing.  And I don't think it's because I'm older.
  • I loved Nena back then. Famous hairy arm pits. *shudder* But she was a riot!<br><br><br>
  • Every German I've ever met wets themselves over Nena.
  • @Kreuzkav My 17 year old self sheds a tear everytime I walk through Camden. In the days when Vintage was still just second hand and the curse of identikit blandness hadn't blighted our shores, there was treasure to be unearthed with every visit. Mind you, even the Lower East Side isn't like the Lower East Side nowadays.
  • And don't forget Compendium Books! Camden lost its last remnants of charm when they closed down.
  • Though this was meant to be a happy thoughts thread, I realise, and we have lapsed into nostalgia. Sad effects of middle age. Any positive thoughts about Camden? Nice bit of canal? Does the Owl bookshop count, or is that Kentish Town?
  • Owl is definitely Kentish Town and not an indie any more. I miss Palmers Pet Shop among other things. You'd have liked it Stella, they had a big reptile area upstairs and offered a reptile hotel service for when owners went on holiday. At least new owners kept the 'Talking Parrots, Monkeys' signage - that's a good thing. The stationers near M&S is brilliant.
  • <P>Well there are plenty as it used to be said that there is a Church for every week of the year and a pub for every  day of the year.</P> <P>Nice place.</P> <P>Colmans museum is interesting </P>
  • A reptile hotel, eh? Generally, I'm against shops selling reptiles, unless they really know what they're talking about and don't sell them to anyone who comes in with cash. Sadly, that's what happens mostly. I'd rather the import stops and only private breeders can sell. At the moment, I'd rather we even stop breeding and those who are interested in reptiles go and get them from rescue centres. They're full of abandoned and mistreated animals in need of a loving home. That's goes for cats and dogs and all the other animals, too. And I wish they'd do more re the puppy mills. Oh, but that's an entirely different topic.<br><br>I do go into shops, though, when reptiles are offered, just to see how they look like (healthy and that). Is it weird that, after almost 20 years of keeping iguanas, I'm still like 'aaaaaaaw' iguana!'? One would think I'm used to their cuteness, but it doesn't seem to wear off. <br><br>Brings me to something I'm happy about today: I'm happy that 5.5 years ago, the previous owners of Zorro decided to give him to me when they found him becoming too big (common problem). Zorro sort of made the decision to walking over to me, sitting on my lap and basically investigate me for ages, leaving the owners speechless. I'm glad he's with me, for he's become a very difficult animal to handle, aggressive, dangerous, often unpredictable, and huge. I'm sure most other keepers would have given him away or given up on him. I persevered and it's finally getting much better. Took only two trips to the A&E and other ripped open areas of my body. lol <br>
  • Miss Annie Norwich
  • Miss Annie Norwich
  • edited January 2014
    I'm sure she wouldn't like it if you'd reveal her surname, Ali. Oh, you already did ... <br>
  • Kreuzhav,  So you were a Blitz Club boy ?  Boy George  used to do the cloakroom there before being famous !
  • MissAnnie I would be very grateful if at the next WI you could tell fellow members about the women assembly against austerity meeting. It is due to take place on the 22nd Feb.  <a href="http://thepeoplesassembly.org.uk/womens-assembly-against-austerity-date-announced/">http://thepeoplesassembly.org.uk/womens-assembly-against-austerity-date-announced/</a><div><br></div><div>Women have been hit particularly hard by current government policy.  </div>
  • edited January 2014
    @Ali Did you read the posts, Kreuzkav said he was 12 at the peak of the New Romantic era! He would not have allowed into Blitz. Legend has it that the Boy used to go through the coat pockets and steal anything that caught his eye, but I have no idea if it's true. Wouldn't be at all surprised.
  • My friend says that, where there is one, he makes the local Jewish museum a priority visit. Apparently they are universally excellent. And he highly recommends the one in Camden, although I've never been there.