Today I'm happy about ...

Comments

• edited January 2014
    <div>I thought it was ol ' New Age Traveller' types  that were known to be  fond of  tweed and beards.   Are hipsters a kind of  modern  shiny, less earthy  version ? Am bit clueless to trends, had a foot high purple mohikan in the early 80's  which is about as near to  fashionable as I ever got. </div><div><br></div>The hubby  has a beard and wears his old harris  tweed often . He uncharacteristically suggested we should start going out to dinner more often, which I am very happy about.  Would have gone on Sun but  could not decide where to go  locally,  so am cautiously hopeful he may be  considered to be a well worn in  ' hipster' and welcomed at the eateries/ pubs on SG Rd without to many raised eyebrows.<div><br></div>
  • jtfjtf
    edited January 2014
    ..actually.. am i going to be 'shot down' for asking if there has ever been a 'dating' page/forum/thread ?<div>hate the word 'dating'..  </div>
  • No, but you can send members a private message. Lots of new friends have been made that way, and Misscara has said she's been on a blind date from here.
  • I'd not be very happy if someone would ask me for a date via message. Got enough of that shite on Facebook. Don't get me wrong, I think it's a shame Gumtree got rid of the dating section, there are singles all over the place and it's outrageous that they have to pay to find the special someone, but this forum feels wonderfully 'safe'. We have socials and various groups and whatnot. Enough to get 'to know' each other.<br><br>Maybe someone should organise a speed-dating event in SG? <br>
  • edited January 2014
    <br><br><br>
  • The user and all related content has been deleted.
  • edited January 2014
    I've gone to meet people who've sent me messages here, after long conversations on the forum and ghrough DMs - on a friends only basis. It's fun and I'vd met some lovely people. If I were single and a regular poster asked, I'd probably say yes. You can get a better overall idea of what someone is generally like from reading their posts here than a concocted profile on a dating site. And they'd be local.
  • Yes, but that's different. I'm glad I went to meet with Sutent, because he's a wonderful guy, and we share the love for cycling and generally had a good chat and laugh. But that doesn't mean we were both out to find love (which people seem to have read into it).<br>I'd always go and meet someone when I've seen him/her on the forum for a while, but I'd not want to receive a message randomly by someone who's looking for love.<br><br>
  • "If I were single and a regular poster asked, I'd probably say yes." Me too, miss a. Nothing to lose and potentially loads to gain. I made loads of great friends on a different forum, even one who came all the way over from Texas and a bunch of us met up. In fact some of my friends on this forum met up with friends from t'other forum and became friends. Ain't the interwebz great?<br>
  • edited January 2014
    I'm not offended. :-) Edited: And thank you for the well-wishes. Much appreciated.<br>As for dating sites: I absolutely support them. Friends of mine (married since last year) have met on one 10 years ago. Wonderful. <br>I just think that if 'love' happens on a forum like this, it should happen organically--like on one of the socials or other group activities. Even when two people meet because of a shared passion. I'm not looking for love, that's possibly why I don't like the idea of being 'chatted up' via message. Doesn't mean it can't hit me. haha.<br>
  • People (not from this site) keep e-mailing me thinking I'm someone else with the same surname. I've been asked to arrange flowers for Christmas in church, updated on a complete stranger's cancer treatment, and congratulated on my PhD in engineering from Pittsburgh university.
  • Yes, that's exactly it: you're pretty, I want to be your friend.<br><br>First off: if you think I'm pretty you're either drunk or blind and second, no, fuck off! (That's me muttering at the laptop when receiving those messages.) Urgh!<br><br>And it's probably years of working behind bars (not jail!), and having all sorts of guys trying to pull. If I sign up to a dating site, fine, but not on this forum. <br>
  • edited January 2014
    <div><br></div><div>I think when you are not looking is when it is most likely to hit.</div><div><br></div><div>10 yrs ago i was not interested in  relationship to the point used to wear a fake wedding ring, and the biggest purple amethyst 'engagement 'ring I could find in an attempt to deter.</div><div><br></div><div>Silly me thought i was safe indoors posting on a forum, where i met the now MR Toddlesocks. We became  very  good  online friends , ended up  talking on phone regularly. After 2 yrs met in person  ( took some persuading from him)  and have barely been apart since.</div><div><br></div><div>If only I had stuck to my first impression of him being a loud mouthed  troll, with warped sense of humour, all would have been fine ! </div><div><br></div><div><br></div><div><br></div><div><br></div><div><br></div><div><div><br></div></div>
  • It's funny I was on a date last night with someone I met at a friends party at new years. I think it went ok. Its nice she local (ladder) and I walked her home. As we walk
  • Fingers crossed. She better be nice to you, tell her Stella said so. <br>
  • Great weather today. If you've got a bike, get it out there. Cycling makes me happy.<br>
  • jtfjtf
    edited January 2014
    ..  so many interesting posts on the dreaded topic. The old dairy did seem to do a yearly speed dating event some time ago, but me and my housemate never made it, and haven't seen it advertised for a bit. <div>Often think.. there are so many nice/interesting looking people round here but am quite often in a rush to get home, battling with groceries and arctic blasts - that i don't tend to strike up a conversation. </div><div><span style="font-size: 10pt;">When it does happen its great.</span></div>
  • People meet people in all sorts of ways.  Through friends and becoming friends, workplace, study, hobbies and now dating sites.  Horses for courses.  jtf, very few people meet on the street randomly, but it does happen. I've met partners in various ways, usually though friends but a few times online.  It's very hit and miss online as it's full of bullshit but as others have said, but people do strike gold.
  • oh.. and .. today i'm happy about..hmm   <div>- watching 'the fall' online.. good ole tv drama beats the january blues </div><div>- seeing the sun in the last couple of days</div><div>- having discovered a site where local insomniacs can post random msg's in the early hours.. yay</div>
  • No way Misscara.. that is .. cough.. splutter.. am speechless actually. <div>WTF??.. pardon the expression.</div><div><br></div>
  • Well, at 40 you're basically with half a foot in the grave. That said, still half the life to spend with someone (or more if you wish). Dating event sites have actually age-groups. I just wonder what those 40+-year-olds do who fancy younger ones ... <br><br>I went to a single/speed dating event a few years ago. It was something I always wanted to do and tick off my list. Speed dating was quite fun, the single event itself a little disappointing. I got fairly drunk that evening, the only thing I could do. lol <br><br>I know of a couple, though, that went to something similar (met there) and they've been together for a while (years) now. <br>
  • I read somewhere that a lot of people are meeting in supermarkets, seemed funny at first but it is very easy to strike up conversations in them. 
  • By the way: I'm happy about having done about 21 miles today. Great ride. Until it started to rain, that is.<br>
  • edited January 2014
    It's really not that difficult for 40+ women to pick up younger men, and 40+ men have absolutely no problem attracting younger, sometimes much younger, women. One is not considered middle aged at 35 now like my mum's generation were, and if neither of you want children the biological reasons for being with someone in the right age range don't apply. Age of partner has absolutely never been a consideration for me, I've dated men 15 years younger and ten years older. The thing that is most challenging with a much younger person is that you have no cultural references in common - you can't do the 'do you remember Charles & Di's wedding', 'the hurricane of '87', Bagpuss conversations if they were only two at the time. Toddlesocks, a gay friend of mine has been picking up men in Waitrose for years.
  • I once saw a guy on the Tube (a few years ago). He was right my type, but I couldn't pluck up the courage to talk to him. Despite my being a confident loud-mouth and forthright, I'm absolutely shy when I like a guy. Been the butt of the joke to many friends because of that. Nobody will ever believe me that I don't get a word out when I fancy someone. <br>
  • Annie, what I meant was on speed dating events with certain age groups. They often don't mix those age groups. That's what I found back then. <br>
  • JTF are you male or female?